© Christ Church Cherry Valley
Christ Church Cherry Valley

The History of Christ Church Cherry Valley

Our present Georgian inspired building was built in 1842, and was consecrated on June 10, 1843. (When Bishop Inglis arrived here in violent rain to consecrate the church there was no congregation. Volunteers rode in different directions and after three hours a good congregation had gathered). Rev. Fred Downes Pauterhad been appointed by Bishop John Inglis as the first officiating clergy person. The petition (to build) was signed by Rev Pauter, Phillip Lane, Alex MacMillan, Thomas K. Awley, William Storey, John Fraser, James Harrison, C. M. Willock, Justice of the Peace, Thomas Beers, Thomas Irving, Robb Dodd, George Irving, and John Nelson. These petitioners and James Hayden also petitioned for church land to be used as a cemetery and this land for the cemetery was consecrated in 1844. Christ Church Cherry Valley was part of the Parish of Bedford.  Cherry Valley is named after Cherry Valley, New York State, from where the Hayden survivors of a massacre there, immigrated to here. A Thomas Tweedy was one of the carpenters, and a direct descendent is active here today. Now overgrown, there is what may be a French regime cemetery in the SE corner (Prince Edward Island was once Isle St Jean).  The church is registered as a heritage place under the PEI Heritage Places Protection Act. Exterior large eave returns, wide corner boards and clapboards are original, and reflect typical architecture of those days. The interior has recently been refurbished to period standards, thanks to generous personal memorial donations.  From extensive and well documented records, we note that the first marriage at Christ Church was between John Jenkins and Mary Mellish, February 24, 1842. Margaret Willock, daughter of Cavendish and Maria Willock was the first person baptised on December 5, 1841. The first burial was Joseph Irving of Seal River on July 27, 1854. The Rev’d John T. Payne, who served from 1935-40, is buried in our churchyard. Over the years the church has been served by and shared clergy with other (Anglican) churches. Some of these churches at Southport (Stratford), Alberry Plains, Murray River and Mt Stewart are now gone. There have been over thirty-seven clergy and lay persons minister to this congregation over the years. The parish was often without clergy. Often, services were seasonal. The longest serving was Rev. Canon A.E. Piercey from 1948 until 1979. Christ Church was aligned with the parish of Milton, until the mid-1990s. Over the years, Christ Church ministry was supported and sustained by lay people. In our present memory, we think of many, but especially the longest serving lay-reader on PEI until her death, a person of great prayer, preaching, reflection and leadership, is our own Kaye Ings. And of course, her dear husband Stirling. Christ Church is now a vibrant independent parish with its own clergy. While small, it is very robust in its service to others, with worship every Sunday at 10 a.m. Noted for its happiness and hospitality, it has 30-50 persons in attendance every Sunday.

From the blogspot 'Occasional Toronto'

PEI (Prince Edward Island) has many of these wonderful white clapboard churches and this has to be one of the most beautiful especially when viewed from the highway with the waters of the Northhumberland Strait behind it. This Anglican church was built in 1842 and has been historically registered and the congregation is now in the process of refurbishing the interior to period standards to match the exterior which is so typical of PEI architecture with the wide eaves and clapboard siding.

More history from CCCV

A former Rector, buried in our cemetery

Pam and Linda and Jeff's great, great, great grandfather was Job Irving

© Christ Church Cherry Valley - The Little Church with a Big Heart
Christ Church         Cherry Valley
History of Christ Church Cherry Valley Our present Georgian inspired building was built in 1842, and was consecrated on June 10, 1843. (When Bishop Inglis arrived here in violent rain to consecrate the church there was no congregation. Volunteers rode in different directions and after three hours a good congregation had gathered). Rev. Fred Downes Pauterhad been appointed by Bishop John Inglis as the first officiating clergy person. The petition (to build) was signed by Rev Pauter, Phillip Lane, Alex MacMillan, Thomas K. Awley, William Storey, John Fraser, James Harrison, C. M. Willock, Justice of the Peace, Thomas Beers, Thomas Irving, Robb Dodd, George Irving, and John Nelson. These petitioners and James Hayden also petitioned for church land to be used as a cemetery and this land for the cemetery was consecrated in 1844. Christ Church Cherry Valley was part of the Parish of Bedford.